A UK Passport contains security features in two places:
- the data page - which contains a passport photo and personal details; and
- the page opposite the data page - which contains the document number and other important security features.
The best advice for taking a photo of the passport is as follows:-
- Place the passport on a flat surface (e.g. a desk or table top)
- Hold the passport still with one hand.
- Ensure no important information (such as the MRZ - Machine Readable Zone - at the bottom of the document) is not obscured by a hand.
- Tap the smartphone screen to focus the image
- Take the photo.